is anyone as excited as I am about December? I love Christmas time, especially with all the lights. For me, Christmas time is a time of happiness, of giving and sharing, and some quality family time. Although my family at home is thousands of miles away I can celebrate with my host family over here who are like a second family to me.
And to get everyone in a happy Christmas mood I am going to share something that made me happy that day for the next 24 days, kind of like a happiness advent calendar (that sounds so cheese honestly). But anyway, let’s get on with that happiness ✨.
1. I stayed up so late last night (not even kidding, I went to bed at 2am) to finish my host kids’ advent calendars. I couldn’t find a good spot to hang it so now it’s just hanging between two chairs 😂. But my host kids still loved it, especially the German chocolate inside.
2. We had a sleepover at my area director’s house, we laughed so much, exchanged some presents and I finally got to know half my cluster 😂.
3. Tomorrow is my younger host kid’s birthday and because it’s a weekday we decided to celebrate today and go out for lunch at one of our favorite restaurants (if anyone happens to be in Minnesota and wants to try it, it’s Hajime in Elk River 😄).
4. If you are in the US and haven’t heard of the Jingle Ball you’re really missing out on something. It’s a concert with a bunch of amazing singers and I went to the one in St Paul yesterday with my friends, it was amazing 😍.
5. Honestly, the best thing today was taking a nap after we came back at almost 2am after the Jingle Ball because of all the snow on the road. But also, Keely Doherty liked some of my Instagram pictures 😍.
6. Today I finally had time to cook again, I just love trying new recipes – or, like a lot of times, reinventing them 😂. So I got a bag of fresh cranberries a while ago and they are so sour when they are raw! But I made some cranberry vanilla pudding buns (or more like circles, I blatantly failed at rolling them 😂). Although they were far away from pretty they were soooo good, I will definitely have to make them again 😍.
7. It’s really nothing big but I found good sweet popcorn. It tastes almost exactly like the one I love in Germany 😍.
8. I am so proud of myself for sending the Christmas cards in time because I just completely forgot last year. I seriously can’t wait until they get them 💌.
9. My host family and I went to some houses today with crazy Christmas lighting. I mean some even had music on their radio frequency but it was awesome!
10. My host kids put up the Christmas tree today (while I was napping because I was just so tired 😂) and now it’s so pretty in the living room 🎄💕.
11. It’s been years since I last made a gingerbread house but today I finally made some with my host kids. I admit, I probably had more fun than they did though 😅.
12. In case you didn’t know, Minnesota is freezing and full of snow every winter. And although we’ve had snow on the street for the last weeks it started snowing while I was outside today. I almost forgot how pretty it looks and it definitely makes you forget about them temperatures of -14 degrees celsius (at least for a little bit).
13. Sleep is such a nice thing, I love sleep. And today I was able to sleep in so that was awesome 😴😂. And I started my snapchat takeover on my agency’s account and it’s honestly so much fun!
14. It was actually sad that I had my last piano class today for this semester but my teacher is so incredibly nice and sweet, she even made cookies, bread and jelly and a bunch of other foods 😍.
15. It always makes me happy to think about what a great time in Minnesota I’ve had so far. And today was extra special because it’s been exactly 16 months (unbelievable! 😱). In addition to that, my host kids had their Christmas piano recital which was really nice.
16. The Holidazzle is almost a Christmas tradition in Minnesota so this is my second time going there. And I’m so happy because I bought an adorable necklace in the shape of Minnesota 😍.
17. Has anyone heard of Naf Naf Grill? If you haven’t, you’re definitely missing out on something, it’s such good food for a fast food restaurant. My older host kid actually wanted to go there for lunch which I loved of course 🥙.
18. I don’t think eating a mug cake outside in the snow was never on my bucket list but I can definitely say I’ve done that now. This is what happens when you want to est and your host kid wants to go sledding 🤷🏻♀️.
19. It’s been like forever since I skyped with my family at home, we don’t skype too often but when we do it’s always amazing 💕.
20. Today I had to great things. First, I finally got to send out my last Christmas cards and I can’t wait for the people to get them 😍. And second, I watched The Greatest Showman with a friend. And although it wasn’t as good as I expected, it was still nice to see.
21. What would Christmas be without Christmas cookies? Well, I’m actually not the biggest fan of normal cookies but I love baking so I made a vegan version of girl scout cookies (at least the recipe says that, I have no idea what they look and taste like 😅) and some vegan cheesecake bites 😍.
22. The baking craze continued and I seriously managed to make vegan Bounty bars, coconut macaroons and vanillekipferl, a traditional German Christmas cookie. I’m so proud of myself for making all that stuff in just two days 😂.
23. Today was an amazing day full of new experiences. I went to Duluth with a friend, we saw the city, went to a huge Christmas light display and watched Pitch Perfect 3.
24. Merry Christmas everyone! 🎄🎅🎁💝 It’s finally Christmas so that already makes me happy but then when my friend and I went out for breakfast, a stranger at the table next to ours just paid our bill 😳. I appreciate it so so much and these random acts of kindness just mean the world and show that there are good people all around us 🙏. (Sorry for being so cheesy but it’s the truth 😅.)
So this is it, 24 days are over, Christmas is finally here. I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas time and enjoy the holidays 🎄.
Lots of love,